English Deutsch
Page 1 from 2 12 LastLast
Score 1 to 10 of 12

Subject: Great white shark spotted off Mallorca

Forum representative Avatar of playtime slotti
    Registered since
    Sep 2014

Post Great white shark spotted off Mallorca

At first I thought it was some sort of summer fin, but it actually seems like a great white shark was spotted 35km south of Cabrera. Spanish marine researchers from the Alnitak marine research center accompanied and filmed this 5 meter long specimen for 70 minutes. It is a historic and scientifically confirmed sighting of the presence of great white sharks in Spanish waters for at least 30 years.

What effect does such a message have in the minds of vacationers?

So far it has been thought that the great white sharks, which are threatened with extinction, actually only occur in populations in South Africa, California or off the Australian coast, even if there have been individual strays in other waters.

What do you think when you are there as a holidaymaker? Do you still dare to go into the water? It cannot be ruled out that there are more specimens of this species in the waters off the Balearic Islands. In principle, great white sharks are not a threat and they only attack when they feel threatened, sense blood or mistake people for a seal. 1989 saw the last fatal shark attack in the Mediterranean. In the Gulf of Baratti (Italy), a 47-year-old diver was attacked by a shark and pulled into the depths because he was swimming back to the boat in panic.

People forget again, but the fact that sharks don't actually pose a real threat to humans doesn't take away the fear. I wouldn't want to challenge it. In 2017 it was a blue shark that appeared in the bay of Playa Illetas but was injured on the snout by a fishing hook and then had to be put down on the beach.
      QuoteQuote

Registered since
    Dec 2014

AW: Great white shark sighted off Mallorca

We are flying to Mallorca in August, I personally would certainly not like to meet someone like that. But we are only sporadically on the beach and in the water and mostly not in very deep actually still there where you can stand, it may appear there but rather unlikely. I'm not really worried, but I've always been a bit alert, so generally always.
      QuoteQuote

Support Team Avatar of playtime spielo
    Registered since
    Sep 2014

It's not the first time sharks have been seen here. But they're so scared of all the drunks that they'd rather stay a bit in the inner sea.
      QuoteQuote

Registered since
    Dec 2014

I thought drunk people don't exist like they used to??

We are never at the Ballermann but mostly in other corners, so I can't understand it that way.. but I'm happy again when you arrive at Palma Airport in the meantime, it's so familiar and well-known and you feel right at home. Then get the rental car and head towards Cala Millor.

Well, I've digressed a bit now, but I'm so happy, especially with the stress at work at the moment.
      QuoteQuote

Registered since
    Dec 2014

That was probably a one-time headline again, there will certainly be sharks there from time to time, but nothing has happened since the news.
      QuoteQuote

Registered since
    Sep 2014

That's exactly how it looks, many sharks cavort around the Mediterranean Sea and every now and then one makes it towards the beach. They don't attack without an active threat either, but make that clear to someone if one rows past you. I think we all panic pretty quickly!
      QuoteQuote

Registered since
    Dec 2014

Well of course I can do without such a personal meeting now. But somehow it is clear that there are sharks somewhere in the sea, sometimes closer, sometimes further away.
    So far I've only encountered very small fish, it was enough to scare me.
      QuoteQuote

Registered since
    Dec 2014

A few days ago there was another blue shark, I think, that swam to the beach and swam around by these pedal boats. They should just stay away
      QuoteQuote

Senior Member avatar of buzzi
    Registered since
    Dec 2014

This will soon develop into an adventure holiday, so the prices will definitely be even higher on Mallorca.
      QuoteQuote

Registered since
    Sep 2014

Quote Posted by buzzi View Post
    This will soon develop into an adventure holiday, so the prices will definitely be even higher on Mallorca.
    It was good, well hopefully tourism will be a little less again, the country is totally overcrowded and in a few weeks the first water bottleneck will come!
      QuoteQuote

Active Users

Active Users

Active users in this topic: 1 (Registered users: 0, guests: 1)